Friday, September 2, 2011

Book bingo

One thing have not been able to instill in my 7 year-old daughter is a love for reading.  She learned to read at age 4, but it has been a constant struggle to increase her comprehension and fluency.  I know that the only way for her to improve these skills is by having a consistent reading time for her, but getting her to stick to a reading plan has not come without some serious griping and complaining. 

I recently came across this idea of book bingo from 2 Love Learning.  This way Lou can decide which books she is going to read and there is a goal and reward in place when she reaches these goals.  I printed this free card for this version of bingo, but next time I will be using this one created by Shoregirl at 2 Love Learning.



Now you can see that we have not gotten too far yet, but at least Lou is now asking to read because she wants to color in her square.  When she gets a bingo she will be able to get a prize from our prize bucket.  I really need to restock this bucket because the last time I used it I was trying to encourage my 4 year-old daughter to use the potty better (didn't work, that's why it's still full).  2 Love Learning even put money in her prize bucket - a great idea! 


What ways have you been able to successfully motivate a child who seems to have no interest?

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking back -- I'm happy to share! My daughter has finished her first sheet and started on her second one. Just today she came and ask me if she "had to read all those books to get the prize she wanted?" When I said "yes" she set to work and read 5 of them to get something that caught her eye in the prize bin!!
    Happy Reading to Lou!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ally loved reading and then this summer stopped. She read one book the whole summer. I am mad I didn't make her do more, but we were busy playing. I think this might help her a lot to get through the books. She also reads about 5 books at the same time. I can't get her to stop doing that. This could help that too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In an attempt to get my children to explore their bookshelves more I created a bookshelf treasure hunt (which can be completed like a bingo game as well). I wrote about it on my blog and have copies of the cards I made to download. The link for this is:
    http://etadventures.blogspot.com/2011/06/bookshelf-bingo-and-punch-cards.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic idea! I'm trying to decide how to use this at home! Awesome! Thanks so much for sharing this at For the Kids Fridays at Sun Scholars. I am featuring this post at this week's party!! Stop by and grab yourself an A++ Button!!!

    http://sunscholars.blogspot.com/2011/09/for-kids-friday-27.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is a great idea to use the Bingo card as a motivator. Makes it like a game! Good luck with it 0 hope your girls gets to enjoy reading a bit more! I LOVE books & reading!

    Thanks for linking to the Sunday Showcase! Hope to see you again this week!

    Bern
    http://momto2poshlildivas.blogspot.com/search/label/Sunday%20Showcase

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the idea of linking play and fun with reading! Thanks for sharing it at The Book Chook!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...