Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Egg yolk painting: Jungle prints



I finally got my hands on a fantastic art book for kids - I found Discovering Great Artists by MaryAnn F. Kohl and Kim Solga from the library and brought it home.  The pages are full of art ideas for kids inspired by famous artists. I plan on doing quite a few of these projects this summer and was able to complete one with Maisy and Mina (ages 5 and 3) this afternoon.  

This art project is inspired by Henri Rousseau, a French artist famous for painting jungle scenes.  Our first task to get started was to go outside and collect leaves.  We also grabbed a few flowers and branches that were growing in the yard.

Since I was out of green paint, I decided we would make some.  Around Christmas time, we painted cookies with egg yolk paint for the first time.  The colors were so vibrant - it was perfect for our bright jungle scene.  I took and separated 5 egg yolks from the whites and put them into separate dishes.  I wanted to be able to make several shades of green.

I let the girls add food coloring to the egg yolks and mix them together.

Our five shades of green are all ready to go.

The girls used a small sponge brush to coat one side of the leaf with the paint, then they stamped it onto their paper (I had some left over posterboard that I cut to size).  Both of them got the hang of the process quickly and went to work covering their papers.  They had fun using different types of foliage and flower petals to do their printing.

We let the paint dry while we ate our lunch, then I gave the girls some markers to complete their jungle scenes.  I tried to take somewhat of a close up shot to show the dimension and sheen the egg yolk paint gives to the picture.  It may have worked a little better if their animals were drawn before we added paint since the paint is translucent and would have made a cool effect.


Maisy's artwork is on the top, Mina's is on the bottom.

This is my first time making my own paint - I know there are several ways this can be done. 

What is your favorite way to make paint?

11 comments:

  1. This is awesome! Grace and I will have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting -- I've never tried this before! I do adore MaryAnn F. Kohl's books. They are all fantastic! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you made your own paint from eggs. Amazing...definitely going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the leaf printing and how you made your own paint since you didn't have any green!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a neat idea! I have never seen this before. We will have to try it some time. I have pinned it to my painting board for future reference :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to show your kids how paints were made "in the olden days". Beautiful art projects!

    Thanks for joining Kids Get Arty.

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, those jungle pictures are just awesome. Great idea to paint with shades of one colour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea, I love the printing with natural objects and I didn't know you could make paint with egg yolks. What fabulous colours the final pictures are.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow..!! nice idea, i will definitely try this out :)
    parents/resources

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea and the pictures turned out fab!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never listen about egg mixing colour painting..........Thanks

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...